I like so many gamers had an opinion on the restrictions that Microsoft wanted to apply to the new Xbox One console. That opinion is mines to have, because ultimately it’s up to me to spend the 399.99 on the new system just like it’s up to so many gamers. In this blog I’m going discuss the things that Microsoft could have done differently to affect change without causing so much of an uproar. Let’s face it nobody likes change.

First off gaming should be simple and without restrictions! Nobody wants to put in their favorite game and not be able to play it, do to some “24 hr check in”. The purpose of the 24 hr check in or “always on” was so that the Xbox One would always receive the game and firmware updates so that the system functions properly. Through all that what I gather was that they wanted to keep track of how many Xboxes were being used daily, probably for advertising purposes or something to that affect. I can understand and even appreciate the 24 hr check in because I don’t like now when you put in a new game you have to get an update that takes 30 seconds to a minute. Also if you haven’t played a game in a long time you have to wait through the update process before beginning the game. I understand Microsoft but you really could have explained this differently.

My first Question to Microsoft is what if I don’t have internet? Let’s face it; having the internet service is an expense, a monthly bill so to speak. What If I don’t pay my bill on time and my service is interrupted? What happens when I put madden in, to play my offline dynasty and see that my game doesn’t work? What about all the kids who parents don’t allow them to game online? What happens when I’m on vacation and don’t use my Xbox for a week. These are the people that you will be losing because of this restriction.

Microsoft needs to understand that there are a lot of people who don’t have and can’t afford the internet but they have an Xbox. I know it’s a small number of people that I’m talking about, but do you really want to seem like the big bad company that doesn’t look out for the little people. You already have a shaky reputation with you Windows operating system. Please don’t mess up with the gamers!

What Microsoft should have done was make a way where the Xbox can update when on, but don’t make it a requirement. Don’t force a 24 hr check in on people. Offer the service as a benefit and if you really want to make an extra dollar (we know you do) offer it to gamers as a paid choice. Some people did like the idea of the 24 check in.

The next thing is the gaming sharing issue. I really don’t know why Microsoft felt the need to stand up for the game developers. Microsoft is catching the bad rep for this one but make no mistake the game developers bought this issue to Microsoft. There are other gaming consoles out there but none of them have as big a slice of the pie as Microsoft. If you’re a developer and you want to change the way people trade games and how stores resell them you would go to the big dog first. The problem with that is now Microsoft looks like the greedy super company that wants to make all the money on the market and put stores like GameStop out of business. With the “used game” restriction came a nice little benefit of the family game share.

The family game share would have been a nice benefit to most people because it would put the end to everyone buying the game, playing it and traded it in for another game after 3 months or so. With the family share, a group of people let’s say 5 friends could take their money buy 5 different games then share them with each other. That is an excellent benefit because for $60 I get 5 games instead of one. So even if they did raise the price of the game I would still get more for my money. This is a benefit that Microsoft fumbled completely.

What Microsoft should have done was present the benefit as a benefit and not as a hindrance to the gamers. Most gamers would be all on board for the family share benefit if you would just describe it to them they way you intend it to work. If Microsoft would have simply told people how they would be able to use the family share instead of placing restriction on the used and traded games most people would have been on board. Even if I can’t play a used game I would be able to get more games for my money in the end. Look for Microsoft to take advantage of this benefit. I see a charged service for this or some type of cloud service (with a charge to take advantage of this benefit). This one is just too good to let slip by!

Comments